So it's Wednesday.. The tellys finally got something other than Anna-Nicole Smith to worry about. And that's only because of the national obsession with what else, guns. A South Korean kid got a gun (maybe two, they are not sure yet) and went shooting. Thirty three dead, including the fucker himself. Fortunately, he was a student and his teacher had the insight into his quiet personality to be able to point out: "The threats seemed to be underneath the surface," she said. "They were not explicit, and that was the difficulty the police had." She had apparently spoken to the police and other officials about the potential threat Cho might become to the fabric of the local community.
Turns out she was also brave enough to insist that he no longer write in the graphic and violent fashion as was his wont. Additional support was provided by suggesting he go to a counsellor.
It's really heartening to know that people who never knew Cho, but knew of him could understand his psyche through his writings and his behavior. That proves he was not invisible. Just a loner. Or maybe they were really observant.
What about the lonely, disturbed people who do not have access to such an understanding crowd. Cho atleast had people telling him he needed help. Somehow that was not enough to prevent him from expressing himself through violence. I wonder how many people share the rage he felt against the rich kids and the debauchery he observed around him.
The previous offence Cho committed got him a speeding ticket for going at 44 mph in a 25 mph zone. How does that tell authorities about potential mass murderers? Time and again the unlikeliest of folk come out with skeletons they want to throw at the rest. We watch horrified, have meaningful national debate, urge restraint on any possible backlash against liberal gun law and carry on. Now that is as stoic as a society can get. In fact, it's so stoic it makes me wonder if they are really looking at what's happening or if the buzz created by the media has hypnotized them into inaction. Maybe it's the junk food they feed on. Maybe it's the pills they bought for "Restless legs syndrome." It's true - such a condition exists.
I'm a student and I know of a person who died Monday in the shootout. I didn't know how to react. My parents were anxious enough to call me from a thousand miles away. At that distance it's tough to make out how far away Virginia is from where their child is. Apparently close enough to be bothered.
I cannot justify killing. To me it represents the need to undertake in an act that defines or redefines the killer's life. An attempt to provide a goal or purpose even. I don't know and I'm not qualified to comment. What I do know is it gets awful lonely here. This country is a melting pot that has different compartments. I don't see recognition in the eyes of those I interact with. Frankly, I don't expect it. I create a social bubble around myself composed of friends, girlffriends, ex-girlfrineds and family who I'm in constant touch with over the phone, the internet and very very rarely in person. I also tell myself that the process of being independent involves spending large amounts of time by yourself. Doesn't always work though. I know I'm a stranger in this land. I do not know how long for.
Everybody in my dorm is freaked by the incident that occurred Monday. The school wants us to share in a moment of silence for those who departed in the violence. I pray also for those alive and who are alone. I pray that they find someone to talk to, share a laugh with, maybe a drink. I doubt that will help lower the number of people dying because of random acts of violence. It might just help some of us look the the other way from the demons that we meet every day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment